DSD is devoted to educating in a nurturing/positive atmosphere, therefore all placements for the first month are tentative to ensure the best class for your child. Private lessons available.
FUNdamentals of Dance I and II – Ages 4-6. 45 minute classes. Our FUNdamentals of Dance program offers a fun, guided way for children aged 4-6 to explore dance through classes that encourage an exploration of movement in a safe and non-competitive environment. Our trained faculty introduces children to basic dance steps while developing motor skills, strength, balance and flexibility. We also work on social skills such as taking turns and following directions, as well as musicality, creativity, and joy in movement. The class also incorporates Tumbling as well as PreBallet and PreJazz movement.
Ballet –A highly stylized form of dance using intricate steps and expressive gestures that promotes strength, flexibility and discipline. Students begin their classical ballet training with an emphasis on technique and artistry. Progressing through these levels may take more than one year at each level.
- Ballet I – Ages 7 and up. 60 minute classes.
- Ballet II – Ages 8 and up. 60 minute classes. Pre-requisite Ballet I or equivalent. Ballet II dancers are encouraged to take two ballet classes per week.
- Ballet III – Ages 9 and up. 75 minute classes. Pre-requisite Ballet II or equivalent. Ballet III dancers must be taking two ballet classes a week.
- Ballet IV – Ages 10 and up. 75-90 minute classes. Pre-requisite Ballet III or equivalent. Ballet IV dancers are required to take a minimum two ballet classes a week.
- Ballet V – Ages 11 and up. 90-120 minute classes. Pre-requisite Ballet IV or equivalent. Ballet V dancers are required to take a minimum of three ballet classes a week.
- Pre-Pointe/Pointe – Ages 10 and up. Pre-requisite Ballet II or equivalent. Pointe is a component of classical ballet training and places even greater demands on the dancer’s body. It is necessary for dancers wanting to progress to this more advanced level to take a minimum of two ballet classes a week, and as they progress increasing their ballet classes to at least three a week.
Teen/Adult Ballet – Ages 14 and up. 60 minute classes. For older dancers new to ballet or not current in the basics.
Jazz – Age 7 and up. 45-75 minute classes. An expression through movement of feelings created by modern music that promotes rhythm, flexibility and strength. It emphasizes jazz movements, in a range of styles to include, but not limited to, traditional jazz, contemporary, theatrical and street jazz.
Modern – Ages 12 and up. 60 minute classes. Expressive dance based on a rebellion against the structure of ballet. Horton (popularized by Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater) and Hawkins techniques are emphasized with a basic introduction to other classical modern dance techniques.
Danspiration – Ages 8 and up. 45 minute classes. Get moving in this class for dancers 8 and up. Each class will begin with a warm-up, followed by high energy choreography inspired by a medley of popular dance styles and music. Wear comfortable clothes, don’t forget your water and be prepared to learn some cool moves in a fun filled and exciting atmosphere. No experience necessary!!!
Tap – Age 8 and up. 45 minute classes. A dance form where rhythmic sounds are made with the feet. Dancers use metal taps on the toes and heels of their shoes to produce an endless variety of sounds and rhythms that differ in dynamics and even pitch. Tap technique develops concentration, coordination and rhythm.